About Cancer Screening
Colorectal cancer, also known as colon cancer, is any type of cancer that starts in the colon or the rectum. Houston Colon and Rectal Surgery in North Houston and West Houston, TX is pleased to offer colorectal cancer screenings for local men and women. This exam is generally reserved for patients who are over the age of 50, had positive results after a colonoscopy, have a family history of cancer, or abnormal growths in the colon called polyps. Our team of board-certified colorectal specialists is here to help walk you through this process with great care. Our goal is to accurately diagnose colorectal cancer and identify any other concerns that may be threatening your health.
"excellent doctor. Very friendly. He has a lot of patience when explaining. He is very attentive. And there is a very nice atmosphere. I highly recommend it"- P. / Healthgrades / Jul 07, 2020
"Dr. Azimuddin was great. I highly recommend him."- A.B. / Google / Jul 06, 2020
"I can not praise this office enough. During a very stressful time that we are all in right now I was able to get in to see Dr Azimuddin as a new patient very quickly. I have suffered for many years with something it turned out not to be, but was treated and cured a total miracle. Dr Azimuddin is hands down the best doctor I have ever been to and I have been to a lot starting over 20 years ago with this rectal problem. He is very attentive and knows exactly what you need. He treated me more as a family member than just a patient. I have severe anxiety and never once felt anxious going to an appointment. I feel as though I have found someone I can trust and that is a wonderful feeling. I wouldnt hesitate to tell anyone to that needed this type of specialist to call Dr Azimuddin, was a wonderful experience wont hesitate to go back for any reason. Staff is wonderful too! Thank you for making a very scary, painful experience so easy."- M.L. / Yelp / Jun 28, 2020
"Dr. Azimuddin was Great!! He was patient with me and took the time and explained all that I needed to do to have a recovery that would be quick and as painless as possible. Highly recommend him and his great staff for a job well done."- W.G. / Google / Jun 19, 2020
"Dr. Azimuddin was Great!! He was patient with me and took the time and explained all that I needed to do to have a recovery that would be quick and as painless as possible. Highly recommend him and his great staff for a job well done."- C.G. / Yelp / Jun 18, 2020
Types of Screenings
There are several types of diagnostic tests and screenings that can be performed to identify colorectal cancer, including:
- Colonoscopy: This is a procedure that uses a specialized tube to examine the inside of the colon. Biopsy forceps can also be passed through the tube to take a small tissue sample.
- Biopsy: This procedure surgical removes a small amount of tissue from the suspected area to determine if the cells are cancerous or noncancerous. The tissue is sent to a certified lab to be examined by a pathologist.
- Blood tests: Several types of blood tests can be conducted to identify any harmful abnormalities. A small amount of blood is generally extracted from the arm for these tests.
- Ultrasound: This test utilizes sound waves to generate a live picture of the colon for close examination. Digital pictures will be captured at this time to be analyzed by a medical specialist to identify any abnormalities or determine if colorectal cancer has spread to other areas.
- Computed tomography (CT): This exam utilizes advanced 3-dimensional imaging to capture pictures of the colon. Sometimes, a specialized dye is given to the patient prior to the scan in order to gain more detailed images.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): This test uses strong magnetic fields to capture images of the colon. It can also measure the size of a tumor.
- Positron emission tomography (PET): This is an imaging scan that utilizes a radiotracer to capture pictures of the colon, other organs, and surrounding tissues. A PET may take 60 – 90 minutes to perform.
Our team will schedule a follow-up to discuss your test results with you and what steps are needed in order to move forward. There are a variety of treatment options and procedures that can be performed to treat colorectal abnormalities and cancer. These may include radiation treatment, chemotherapy, polypectomy, or surgical intervention. We will develop a personalized treatment program and review all of your options to eliminate cancer and other dangerous colorectal conditions. When caught early, complete remission of colorectal cancer is fairly high.
Get Screened Today
Contact Houston Colon and Rectal Surgery in North Houston or West Houston, TX today to schedule your colorectal screening. Our specialists have accurately diagnosed colorectal cancer and the underlying cause of other serious colorectal conditions for countless patients. Don’t let the fear of the unknown stop you from gaining the medical insight and peace of mind you need to seize back your health. We are here to serve you and help you navigate through your health journey.