About Cancer Screening
Colorectal cancer, also known as colon cancer, is any type of cancer that starts in the colon or the rectum. Houston Colon and Rectal Surgery in North Houston and West Houston, TX is pleased to offer colorectal cancer screenings for local men and women. This exam is generally reserved for patients who are over the age of 50, had positive results after a colonoscopy, have a family history of cancer, or abnormal growths in the colon called polyps. Our team of board-certified colorectal specialists is here to help walk you through this process with great care. Our goal is to accurately diagnose colorectal cancer and identify any other concerns that may be threatening your health.
"I visited Dr. Azmuddin for a routine colonoscopy, and he did an excellent job. He is very competent, intelligent, and friendly. For the first time, I experienced almost no recovery time from the procedure. After a short stay in the hospital, I walked out with my husband to enjoy a large breakfast. I am also pleased that Dr Azmuddin gave me a choice of 2 good hospitals: Houston Methodist-Willowbrook and St. Lukes. I chose Houston Methodist, and was very happy with all of their services."- H. / Healthgrades / Jul 17, 2021
"Dr. Tal Raphaeli was the best for my procedure. I literally haven't felt like this since I was a teenager. I truly thank Dr. Raphaeli for getting me back to normal. I would definitely refer him to anyone."- M.S. / Google / May 09, 2021
"I recommend Dr. Knapps. My wife and I are his patients and we both received excellent service."- Anonymous / Healthgrades / Jan 03, 2021
"Very impressed with Dr. Azimuddin’s knowledge and experience. And he is very nice while being thorough at the same time. What he does is like magic. Great bedside manner and great support staff, too."- A.T. / Google / Apr 03, 2023
"Dr. Azimuddin performed a major surgery and I'm just so impressed as to how well I came out of it. He is so personable and easy to talk to, not to mention a highly skilled surgeon. "- L.T. / Healthgrades / Mar 31, 2023
Types of Screenings
There are several types of diagnostic tests and screenings that can be performed to identify colorectal cancer, including:
- Colonoscopy: This is a procedure that uses a specialized tube to examine the inside of the colon. Biopsy forceps can also be passed through the tube to take a small tissue sample.
- Biopsy: This procedure surgical removes a small amount of tissue from the suspected area to determine if the cells are cancerous or noncancerous. The tissue is sent to a certified lab to be examined by a pathologist.
- Blood tests: Several types of blood tests can be conducted to identify any harmful abnormalities. A small amount of blood is generally extracted from the arm for these tests.
- Ultrasound: This test utilizes sound waves to generate a live picture of the colon for close examination. Digital pictures will be captured at this time to be analyzed by a medical specialist to identify any abnormalities or determine if colorectal cancer has spread to other areas.
- Computed tomography (CT): This exam utilizes advanced 3-dimensional imaging to capture pictures of the colon. Sometimes, a specialized dye is given to the patient prior to the scan in order to gain more detailed images.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): This test uses strong magnetic fields to capture images of the colon. It can also measure the size of a tumor.
- Positron emission tomography (PET): This is an imaging scan that utilizes a radiotracer to capture pictures of the colon, other organs, and surrounding tissues. A PET may take 60 – 90 minutes to perform.
Our team will schedule a follow-up to discuss your test results with you and what steps are needed in order to move forward. There are a variety of treatment options and procedures that can be performed to treat colorectal abnormalities and cancer. These may include radiation treatment, chemotherapy, polypectomy, or surgical intervention. We will develop a personalized treatment program and review all of your options to eliminate cancer and other dangerous colorectal conditions. When caught early, complete remission of colorectal cancer is fairly high.
Get Screened Today
Contact Houston Colon and Rectal Surgery in North Houston or West Houston, TX today to schedule your colorectal screening. Our specialists have accurately diagnosed colorectal cancer and the underlying cause of other serious colorectal conditions for countless patients. Don’t let the fear of the unknown stop you from gaining the medical insight and peace of mind you need to seize back your health. We are here to serve you and help you navigate through your health journey.
Lowering your risk for colon cancer
Colorectal cancer is preventable, and can be successfully treated.Read
March is Colon Cancer Awareness Month
March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, and a good time to learn more about how it can be prevented or best treated.Read
How do I make sure my surgery is successful?
Though some pain is expected after surgery, you should not be too uncomfortable.Read
What to expect after colon surgery?
Patients often ask; “How do I take care of myself after surgery?”Read