What to expect and how to prepare for Colonoscopy surgery
BOWEL PREPARATION FOR COLONOSCOPY OR SURGERY
DAY BEFORE THE EXAM
BREAKFAST: have a light breakfast and drink plenty of water.
MORNING: drink plenty of water.
LUNCH: take a “Clear Liquid diet” and drink plenty of water.
AFTERNOON: drink plenty of water.
DINNER: take a “Clear Liquid diet” and drink plenty of water.
Buy Laxative. It is available at pharmacies and requires a prescription.
BOWEL PREPARATION WITH GoLYTELY/NuLYTELY
7:00 p.m. day before procedure: Start drinking the laxative at 7 pm and finish the entire bottle in 4 hours. It is best to drink an 8-ounce glassful every 10-15 minutes. Rapidly drinking a glassful will do a much better job than sipping an ounce or two at a time. Chilling it or mixing CrystaLite may make it easier to drink. You will have consumed several glassfuls before having the first bowel movement and this may make you slightly bloated. You may experience nausea, abdominal fullness, and bloating. If this occurs, stop drinking temporarily or drink each portion at longer intervals until these symptoms disappear.
6:00 am the day of the procedure: Give yourself a Fleet enema.
Do not eat or drink after 12 midnight (except medications, see below)
WHAT IS A “CLEAR LIQUID” DIET
• Soups and broth: chicken or beef bouillon
• Jell-O, all jelly products
• Soft drinks (orange, ginger ale, cola, sprite, 7-up, Gatorade, Kool-Aid, CrytaLite®)
• Strained fruit juices without pulp
• Water, tea or coffee (no milk or non-dairy creamer)
• If you are taking Coumadin, Plavix, Xarelto, Eliquis, or any other blood-thinning medications, you will need to stop it a few days before the procedure. Ask your surgeon about it.
• You may take all your medications on the morning of surgery even though you have been asked to avoid eating or drinking after a certain time. Just use a small sip of water for your medications. However, DO NOT take your diabetic medications.
Khawaja Azimuddin M.D. & Tal Raphaeli M.D. & Jean Knapps M.D.
1125 Cypress Station Dr, Suite G, Houston TX 77090
Tel: 281-583 1300 Fax: 281-583 1303
YOU DON’T HAVE TO SUFFER: CALL TODAY FOR AN APPOINTMENT