The success of your surgery depends not only on what happens during your operation and hospitalization but also on what happens between now and the operation. Here are a few tips to help you prepare for your surgery.
- Start a structured program of exercise today. Any form of exercise (treadmills, jogging, even walking) will help you achieve the best results from your surgery. Start slowly and do a little more every day.
- If you smoke, stop immediately.
- Perform deep breathing exercises 10 times every hour when awake. Simply expand your chest and take a deep breath. You will be required to continue with these exercises during your hospitalization.
- Build up your nutrition by taking Impact®, call 1-888-240-2713 to order a 5 day supply. Boost® or Ensure ® are also acceptable alternatives and are available at your local pharmacy. If you are diabetic you may take Glucerna. You may also take some over the counter Vitamins or mineral supplements.
- Buy Hibiclens® soap from your local pharmacy and shower daily for 2 days before and on the morning of surgery. Continue this practice for 2 weeks after surgery.
- Do not shave the area of surgery.
- Do not take any herbal supplements for 1 week before surgery.
WHAT IF YOU TAKE ANY MEDICINES
- Make sure that your surgeon knows what medications you are taking. Please call your doctor's office and inform the nurse about all your medications if you have not done so already.
- If you take Aspirin, Motrin, Aleve, Plavixor any blood thinners, they should be stopped 10 days before the surgery and should not be taken for 10 days after surgery.
- If you take blood thinners such as Coumadin, it should be stopped about two days prior to surgery. Ask your surgeon when you should stop this medicine.
- Do not take Diabetic medicines on the morning of surgery.
- Generally all other medicines (especially medicines for high blood pressure and heart conditions) should be taken up to the time of your surgery. This means that even when you are NPO (not allowed to take orally) you must still take these medicines with just a sip of water.
- Do not drink or eat anything after midnight.
BOWEL PREPARATION ON THE DAY BEFORE YOUR SURGERY
- The doctor will inform you if you need bowel preparation before surgery.
ON THE DAY OF YOUR SURGERY
- Do not eat or drink anything.
- However if you take blood pressure or heart medicines you must take them with a small sip of water.
- On the day of surgery you should arrive at the hospital 2 hours ahead of time. There is much paperwork and preparation to be done before your procedure and a delay in arrival may cause cancellation of the procedure.
Remember that preoperative preparation is vital for the successful outcome of your surgery. Let us work together to achieve an outstanding outcome. If you have any questions please call 281-583 1300 during office hours.
Khawaja Azimuddin M.D. & Tal Raphaeli M.D. & Jean Knapps M.D.
1125 Cypress Station Dr, Suite G, Houston TX77090
Tel: 281-583 1300 Fax: 281-583 1303
YOU DON’T HAVE TO SUFFER: CALL TODAY FOR AN APPOINTMENT